Signup for a folk alley account

Bob Dylan Wins Pulitzer Prize

April 21, 2008

Music god Bob Dylan was awarded an honorary Pulitzer Prize during the super-prestigious organization's April 7 awards ceremony. It was the first time the Pulitzer judges have rewarded a rocker. His citation is for "profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power."

Todd Haynes' freaky sort-of film biography of Dylan, I'm Not There, which stars a variety of actors as the singer (including a very female Cate Blanchett - who earned an Oscar nomination for her performance), will be released on DVD on May 6.

Posted by Ann VerWiebe at April 21, 2008 5:01 PM

Comments

Dylan deserves any acclaim he gets.

Armed only with poetry and song, his contributions to the mental health of our society are legend. Is there anyone who listens to him that hasn't found release or confirmation in one Dylan tune or another? He is one of my 'unlikely' heroes.

Posted by: Rick Hamilton at April 24, 2008 8:46 AM

First time I heard Dylan, i was only twelve. I'd heard Peter,Paul &Mary singing "Blowing In The Wind"- okay.... I'd heard The Beatles raving about him... I was ready ! Then one night on Radio Luxembourg I heard this voice....! It was "The Times They're a-changing" - and my life changed forever! I'll hear Bob again on May 28th : Can't wait !

Posted by: Eva Johansen at April 28, 2008 1:10 PM

"..lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power."
Hmm...sounds a lot like Folk Music to me! We can all most probably agree - Dylan is the definitive folk artist of his/our time, and I'm so glad to have been witness to that and to be living here and now to see his continuing relevance to society in his observations.

Posted by: JoLynn Braswell at April 29, 2008 2:01 PM

I heard Dylan in 2001,at The Syracuse War Memorial and although we could hardly see him, his interpretations of the songs he has had to sing thousands of times, were different, but it showed how he could leave the constraints of the old tunes, and burst forth with new tunes, but still shine.
My brother saw him in 1964 or 65. His show could only become better. It was the samw venue.

Posted by: Paul Crandall at May 4, 2008 3:24 PM

The award is only fitting. He has changed the world.

Posted by: Paul Crandall at May 4, 2008 3:27 PM

i guess i just don't get bob dylan and i guess i never will. regardless, congradulations.

Posted by: Paul Mcgreevy at May 12, 2008 7:21 PM

Congrats to Bob Dylan....he deserves every plaudit he gets....he is the folk music genius of my time. His lyrics are so beyond just song and his intuition is limitless.

Posted by: Patricia J. Carter at May 22, 2008 3:26 PM

I agree, especially with contributing to the mental health of our society. Like Eva, I became a fan at 12 when my friend's brother was playing a Dylan album. I have been fascinated by him and loved his music ever since. If anyone has access to XM Radio, he is on channel XM02 every Wednesday. He introduces songs he has picked with various themes. He is very witty and amusing. His like will never be seen again.

Posted by: Nicholas Tummillo at June 5, 2008 3:14 PM

Bob Dylan is one of my heroes, especially his early '80's Christian albums. I would love to meet him one day.

Posted by: Joshua James at May 15, 2010 5:03 AM

wholesale wedding dresses http://www.wholesaleweddingdresses.ca/
Wedding Dresses 2010 http://www.weddingdressesshop.co.uk/2010-styles-wedding-dress-36

Posted by: Find Way at May 17, 2010 3:59 AM

wholesale wedding dresses http://www.wholesaleweddingdresses.ca/

Posted by: Find Way at May 17, 2010 4:00 AM

wholesale wedding dresses http://www.wholesaleweddingdresses.ca/

Posted by: Find Way at May 17, 2010 4:03 AM

Registered users can post comments in the blog. Please register or log in to share your views.

Support Folk Alley During Our Spring Fund Drive!

Pioneers of Bluegrass Honored in Kentucky
Steve Earle and Levon Helm Win Folk Grammys
JUNO Awards Nominations Announced
East Coast Music Awards Presented in New Brunswick
Awards Announced by SPBGMA
John Martyn wins BBC Lifetime Achievement Award
Alison Krauss and Robert Plant Head Out on Tour
Martin Hayes Wins "Oscar of the traditional music world"
Riders in the Sky Honored by Society for American Music