Signup for a folk alley account

'No Depression' Ceases Publication

February 21, 2008

No Depression magazine has been a victim of the changing world of the music business and has stopped publication. Despite the continued growth of Americana music, they could not cover their print and distribution costs. The service will continue in an online format. Listen to a story about the men behind No Depression on NPR Music.

Posted by Ann VerWiebe at February 21, 2008 6:54 PM

Comments

Oh, boo. I miss 13" LP covers with liner notes, and now I'll miss the magazine. Nothing like holding reading material in my hands and toting it around here and there, then passing it on.

Posted by: JoLynn Braswell at February 23, 2008 6:12 AM

i was just going to subscribe today !!!! is the issue with shelby lynne on the cover the last??? this is one of my main sources of finding an' reading reviews of the music i like. what's a west tennessee boy to do?

Posted by: Jimi Butler at March 1, 2008 11:03 AM

WELL JUST LIKE ALL THE INDIE RECORD STORES IN THE COUNTRY GONE,THIS WAS A GREAT WAY TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH THE MUSIC SCENE FOR PEOPLE NOT INTO MAINSTREAM MUSIC IT WILL BE MISSIED

Posted by: JAKE JACOBS at March 2, 2008 1:22 PM

No Depression's on-line format should keep us up to date - we'll just have to subscribe to that, I suppose.

Posted by: JoLynn Braswell at March 3, 2008 5:56 PM

Don't worry folks I am sure that theyíre changing their name to "New Depression" It wont be long until the rest of the market catches up. business will go belly up, people will lose their jobs, banks will reposes homes, banks will fold. Donít worry itís all part of their master plan. See you at the soup line!

Daniel

I'll miss that magazine!

www.myspace.com/daniel72

Posted by: Daniel at March 7, 2008 9:55 AM

dammit boys & girls....

Posted by: Tennessee Rambler at March 7, 2008 7:56 PM

This is just wrong. Very, very wrong.

Posted by: Shawn Nau at March 8, 2008 10:30 PM

I was lucky and bought the first magazine edition when it hit stands...as well as the 1st No Depression CD! Have all the issues and CD's they put out. It is very sad & bad they didn't make it. Hope someone like them picks up their cause and course. I also am big into another Indie mazazine that's kicking called PASTE. It's out of my home state here...Decatur, Georgia...it comes with a sweet sample disc each month to boot! Idie music rules!! By that I include Folk obviously! I add that only because some might not think they mesh...but to me they do!!! I'm into genres like: Folk, Alt country, Americana, Indie, Roots, Alternative....stay the course FolkAlley.com-stay the course!

Posted by: ALAN QUINNELLY at March 9, 2008 1:53 AM

Registered users can post comments in the blog. Please register or log in to share your views.

Support Folk Alley During Our Spring Fund Drive!

Pioneers of Bluegrass Honored in Kentucky
Steve Earle and Levon Helm Win Folk Grammys
JUNO Awards Nominations Announced
East Coast Music Awards Presented in New Brunswick
Awards Announced by SPBGMA
John Martyn wins BBC Lifetime Achievement Award
Alison Krauss and Robert Plant Head Out on Tour
Martin Hayes Wins "Oscar of the traditional music world"
Riders in the Sky Honored by Society for American Music